7 Communications Lessons From NJ Gov. Chris Christie That Every Democrat Needs To Learn -Media Training
You might think that Chris Christie is nothing more than Ann Coulter force fed a Duncan Donuts factory, but the guy is a fantastic, powerful communicator. Your first image of him might be of the demagogue vilifying a school teacher or defending the indefensible use of a state helicopter to attend his son’s ballgame but if you haven’t seen Christie defend his selection of a Muslim American to a high level judgeship, then I beg you, please watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83z552NJaw
If it’s one thing every single Democrat and liberal can agree on it’s that Republicans and conservatives are the masters at attacking Democrats for supporting unpopular or minority positions or people and putting Progressives on the defensive. Republicans have destroyed many Democrats in the polls by making them appear wimpy and cowardly when defending unpopular decisions or positions. Christie reveals exactly how Liberals should defend themselves for maximum political benefit.
- Attack. Christie starts his defense by NOT defending. Instead, he attacks. He calls those who criticize him full of “ignorance,” “crazy,” and full of “crap.”
- Repetition. Christie didn’t just attack once or twice, he attacked again and again and again. I lost count how many times he said his detractors were ignorant and crazy.
- Emotion. Christie shows powerful emotion. He is dripping with contempt for his opponents on this issue and he isn’t afraid to show it. He isn’t embarrassed, ashamed, and bashful; he is full of rage against those who differ with him on this issue of tolerance.
- 0% doubt that he is right. Christie shows 100% conviction that he is right. He’s not leaving the door cracked that he might be a little wrong or that he might need to consider other views.
- 100% conviction the opposition is dead wrong. Christie does not concede that his opponents have a “fair point” in the criticism of his judicial selection. He doesn’t deliver drivel about how those with different viewpoints are citizens of good will. He conveys 100% contempt for their views and gives them no credence whatsoever.
- Question the mental competence of your opponent. Christie doesn’t say that those who oppose his selection of a Muslim judge have a different point of view that deserves respect. He says they are “crazy.” Christie does everything but give the reporter who asked the questing a quarter and say “go call your college and high school and tell them you are mailing back your diploma!”
- Intimidate those with opposing views from even bringing up the subject again. Christie was so forceful on this issue that reporters didn’t dare bring up the subject again for fear of having their heads bitten off. Christie intimidated those who advocated bigoted views from even having their viewpoints brought to the table after that.
Democrats, Liberals, and Progressives need to improve their communication skills and might as well learn from the best. The next time a Democrat is facing attacks and tough questions over support for gay marriage, abortion rights, raising taxes or other unpopular issues, they need to ask “How would Chris Christie handle this?”
For more information on media and presentation training please visithttp://www.mediatrainingworldwide.com, http://www.mediatrainingworkshop.com and continue reading http://www.mediatrainingworldwide.com/blog for news and analysis to help you communicate more effectively.